Google has discontinued the use of Exchange ActiveSync protocol for favoring CalDAV and CardDAV. When synchronizing Gmail contacts, Google now suggests that use the CardDAV. Normally, this induced some misunderstandings among the people who wish to sync iPhone with Google Gmail Contacts. But never get worried, the syncing of Google Contacts with iPhone is a comparatively very easy process and right now we’ll be demonstrating you how to sync iPhone with Google Gmail contacts.
By Adding the Google Account:
- Open the iPhone Settings app.
- Tap on Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
- Tap the Add Account.
- Select the Gmail.
- Now type your Gmail account details in the given fields:
Name: (Enter any name)
User Name: (Type Gmail email address)
Password: (Account password)
Description: (any description)
- Tap on Next at the top of the screen.
- Ensure that “Contacts” option is enabled (means green).
- Tap on Save.
You may also like these:
How To Sync iPhone With Google Gmail Contacts
By Adding the CardDAV Account:
- Open the Settings app.
- Tap on the Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
- Tap the Add Account….
- Tap on Other.
- Tap the Add CardDAV Account.
- Fill in the given fields appropriately:
Server: should be “Google.com”
User Name: (Your Google email address)
Password: (Your Google Account password)
Description: (any sort of description)
- Tap on the Next.
- Ensure that Enable “Contacts” option (should be green).
After you’ve either launch, setup the Contacts app from the iPhone and the same syncing procedure should start out immediately.
Few Troubleshooting Tips:
Just in case you fall in some difficulties when attempting to sync Google Contacts with iPhone, you may consider following trouble-shooting measures:
- Open the CardDAV account you have created by going to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars under Accounts. Ensure that Contacts is enabled. (For iOS 6 users and below, ensure that the Account option is enabled.)
- If Account is already enabled, go to Account > Advanced and see to it that Use SSL is turned to ON. (For iOS 6 users and below, open Advanced Settings and make sure Use SSL is turned to ON.)
- Make sure that you have saved the changes you’ve made by clicking Done and the top right of the Account screen.
- In case you’re still experiencing issues trying to sync Google Contacts to iPhone via CardDAV, login to your Google account on the web. There might be an “Unusual sign-in location” prompt that needs to be acknowledgement.
So just try this to to sync iPhone with Google Gmail contacts.