As we all expected, that Apple will release the first public beta of OS X Yosemite today and they did as the public beta is available free to download. As Apple provide this to public beta to first million users who successfully join OS X Beta program. As this beta carry a build number 14A299l, which is actually different from build number of OS X Yosemite Preview 4. Here the detail on how to install OS X Yosemite public beta for free.
OS X Yosemite public beta is available for following Macs:
- iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
- Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)
- MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
- MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
- MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
- Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
- Xserve (Early 2009)
Requirements to install OS X Yosemite public beta on your Mac:
- You have already installed OS X Mavericks 10.9 or later
- Minimum 2GB RAM
- Minimum 8GB free disk space
Apple has released four developer preview versions of OS X Yosemite, so while it is quite stable, it still very much a beta version, and one can expect it to be buggy. So it is recommended to install the beta on your secondary Mac instead of your primary one.
- OS X Yosemite Developer Preview 2 Unveiled By Apple
- OS X Yosemite Developer Preview 4 Seeded By Apple
- OS X Yosemite Developer Preview 3 Seeded By Apple
As we know that Apple already seeded four betas of OS X Yosemite, it means that it is now very stable to use, but being a beta version it may contains some bugs. So it is suggested that you should install this public beta on secondary computer.
But before you proceed, don’t forget to take a backup of the data and files on your Mac using Time Machine, the built-in backup utility in OS X. If you need help, check this knowledge base article.
Before installing the public beta of OS X Yosemite, you need to take complete data backup using built-in backup utility called Time Machine. If you have any issue then check the knowledge base article.
Steps to install OS X Yosemite beta:
- On your Mac go-to appleseed.apple.com/sp/betaprogram using Safari
- Sign-up here is you have no ID
- After sign-in simply scroll down and hit the button named “Get OS X Yosemite Redemption code”
- New screen will open with all necessary instructions on how to install OS X Yosemite. Here tick a check box called “I have read the above and understand the limitations of using this beta software” and then click on “Download OS X Yosemite Beta” button.
- After Mac store will ask to provide the redemption code which you have just entered click the Redemption button to start download and just follow the on-screen instruction for installation.