Astro which is a 3rd party Facebook chat client for the OS X that provides the native options that many other chat clients do not offer. Some of our own visitors commented on this fact that they can just use the Messages to chitchat with our Facebook friends. Some others mentioned that they failed to understand, it is possible to set up the Facebook chat in Messages, so we believed we would explain this with a short tutorial as how to set up Facebook chat in OS X messages app.
As a reminder, we offer these basic how-to guides for our readers who are not necessarily as tech savvy as others claim to be. We know that many of you have used Messages to chat with Facebook friends for years and you don’t need a tutorial. This article is for readers who don’t necessarily know about the feature, and we know there are some of them out there. If you already know how to connect Facebook to Messages, don’t feel bad about skipping this article. It won’t hurt our feelings.
Apple’s own chat client called Messages, appeared in Mac in 2012 when the Apple introduced the Mountain Lion. If you do not know the Messages for the Mac, you’re in the real one to read this. This makes it possible for you to link different sources to the chat easily with the other OS X or iOS users, furthermore you can also connect to your Yahoo, Google and AOL accounts to chat without the need of log onto these sites. Even though Messages makes this doable for you to put more 3rd-party chat clients via instant messaging service called Jabber. That is how we’re likely to connect the Facebook.
Installing Facebook Chat In OS X Messages app
- Open the Messages and then select the “Add Account” option from a drop down menu in upper-left corner of the Mac
- Choose the “Other messages account…” from given options and then click on “Continue”
- Select the Jabber from drop-down menu under thee “Account Type”
- Enter the Facebook user-name along with the @chat.facebook.com as a suffix. For instance, if your own Facebook’s user name is “Steven”, then your chat user name will likely be [email protected]
- Enter the Facebook account password now
- Type the chat.facebook.com in server options
- Give the Port number 5222 here
- Click on “Create” button finally.
Now your own Facebook chat has been all set in the OS X Messages. Whenever somebody on the Facebook says “hello”, you’ll be getting notified as if this were one of the Messages chats on the OS X already.