If you are the owner of Google Nexus 5 running Android 6.0 Marshmallow and you want to get root access of your device then follow this easy tutorial given below. This root guide work almost on the latest builds of Android 6.0. Here we are using the Android 6.0 build MRA58N for Nexus 5 root guide.
It is important to take proper device backup including device settings before messing around your device. Because the disaster will there if necessary precautions not made. Secondly your device must be fully charged before doing anything else.
Nexus 5 Easy Root Guide On Android Marshmallow
Just for newbies, Rooting: Rooting is actually refers to enabling the access to internal directories of device to the apps. There many apps even in Play Store require root access to offer some awesome features like the ad blocking, data backup and restore apps, User Interface customization, and also hardware control.
Disclaimer: We are not responsible if something goes wrong to your device while following this guide.
Before get started you need following things:
- Google Nexus 5 or Nexus 6
- Download ADB Tools
- Unlock bootloader of your Nexus 5 and enable the USB Debugging
How-to install custom recovery TWRP on Nexus 5
To perform the easy root process you have to flash a custom recovery on your Nexus device, in other words a rootable kernal ( we are using the ElementalX but you can use some other alternative).
- Download TWRP for the Nexus 5
- Rename this download file to recovery.img and copy this to ADB Tools folder
- Hold your Nexus 5 and reboot into Fastboot mode, turn it off and then press&hold the Volume Down and Power buttons together until the green menu is appear
- Connect the device with computer via USB cable
- If your bootloader is unlocked then skip the upcoming two steps and just start the TWRP flashing
- To unlock your device bootloader, on your computer open the ADB Tools folder press and hold Shift button and right click, select Open command window. On prompt type adb devices to recognize your Nexus device
- type:> fastboot oem unlock
- type:> fastboot flash recovery recovery.img to install custom recovery (TWRP)
- After flashing custom recovery disconnect the USB cable
- Now on Fastboot menu use the device Volume buttons to navigate to recovery and to select it press the Power button
- To make TWRP as default recovery swipe the slider to right on the TWRP screen
- In TWRP menu, select Reboot System now but never allow TWRP to root your device
Steps to root Nexus 5 on Android 6.0 Marshmallow
Now it is the time to download the SuperSU and a rootable kernel (we used ElementalX kernel here), then install it via custom recovery on your Nexus device. Follow these steps.
- Now again put your Nexus 5 into Fastboot mode, turn it off and then press&hold the Volume Down and Power buttons together until the green menu is appear
- Navigate to Recovery option by using the device Volume buttons and to enter TWRP press Power
- Hit Install and locate the kernel where you have downloaded (perhaps in Downloads folder)
- Select the rootable kernel file and flash it
- After installing the kernel, press home button
- Now hit Install and from download folder locate the SuperSU file
- Select the SuperSU file and then slide the slider to install it
- After the flashing the SuperSU, hit the Reboot System button
That’s all your Nexus 5 is rooted on Android Marshmallow now. Now from Google Play Store download and install the Root Checker just to verify their your device is rooted or not.