You have heard a lot of stories these days that sometimes people lost their iPhone or iPad and their device fall into wrong hands, and if the person who found your device is hacker then it very bad for you, because he knows everything to play with your iPhone or iPad and even he can blackmailed you by demanding some money or anything else, the most important thing on your iOS device is the Root password, as the iOS hacker already know that the default root password provided by the Apple is “alpine”, so here we found a method that how to change iPhone root password using MobileTerminal.
If you already perform a jailbreak with latest jailbreak tool Pangu, then it is very excellent idea to change your device Root password in order to stop somebody with harmful intention from enter into your device root level access.
After the hacker gained access to the jailbroken phones with unchanged root passwords and SSH enabled, they can do anything like they can send text messages from your number, use it to call or record your calls, and actually whatever they want, even use it for their hacking activities!
Steps To Change iPhone Root Password Using MobileTerminal
To prevent any iOS hacker to use your iPhone or iPad for wrong purpose you can stick to following easy steps to change your jailbroken iPhone root password:
- If MobileTerminal app is not installed on your device, then open Cydia and search MobileTerminal when appear then install the app, and just reboot your device
- Launch the MobileTerminal app and type su at command prompt and tap return
- You’ll be prompted to enter existing password which is “alpine” by default, type password “alpine” without quotes and then tap return
- Now you are going to change the your iPhone root password. At prompt type passwd and just hit return. Ensure that you type the word passwd
- Now type new password whatever you want and tap return
- You have to enter this new password again. Do it and just hit return
OK you’ve changed iPhone root password successfully. Please remember this new password.
You also have to change the mobile user password, it is basically a regular user account on iPhone. To change mobile user password apply these steps:
- At command prompt type passwd mobile and tap return key
- You have enter new password two times. Enter new password twice when asked
- Now quite MobileTerminal app
Some people change their device password using OpenSSH, but we recommend this approach where no computer is required.